Thank you, WakuWafu, for nominating me for a Liebster Award! Bloggers nominated for this award have a small following, and those who nominate them believe they deserve more readers. My blog is still quite new and I only have a few posts, but it means a lot to me to know that I have readers who really enjoy what I have so far!
As part of the Liebster rules, I must answer a few questions asked by WakuWafu, so without further ado, here are my answers!
1) What made you start a blog?
A: I am a journalist for my University’s newspaper The Daily as well as an aspiring novelist. As a new writer, I have researched many tips on getting my work out in the world to gain publicity before publishing my work, and I read that creating a blog is a great start. It was a bit intimidating at first since I struggle with anything internet-related, but so far I am really enjoying it! I chose to primarily review anime since I watch a lot of anime and it’s a topic that I, and many others, enjoy discussing. I enjoy sharing my opinions and reading others’ because it gives a new perspective on shows that I may already love or dislike.
2) What’s one show you would consider a hidden gem?
A: Haunted Junction. Definitely Haunted Junction. I don’t know how popular it was in its time, but I’m watching it for the first time in 2015 and none of my friends or anyone I know has ever heard of it. Heck, I don’t even know how I’ve heard of it! It’s one of those really silly anime from the 90s, about three high school students who all have some sort of holy powers, and they protect their school’s spirits from evil spirits. Once I finish the series, I will definitely post a review!
3) Who is your favourite character in anime or outside of anime?
A: Junko Enoshima from Dangan Ronpa. She appears to be just another pretty, girly-girl high schooler, but she is so wonderfully evil and psycho! It definitely caught me by surprise!
4) What one superpower would you like to have?
A: I would love to be able to fly. I live in the city and waiting around for late buses can be really annoying. Plus I would love to be able to look down at the incredible view!
5) Do you have a least favourite show?
A: As much as I love anime, there are a lot I actually really dislike! Especially with newer anime, I feel they’ve all become really generic. I’d say as of right now, I’d list Sword Art Online as one of my least favorite, because I actually really, really, reaalllly enjoyed the beginning half of season one. I LOVED the medieval setting, the sword fighting, the romantic build-up between Asuna and Kirito…..but then come the second half of season one, they totally dropped it. I hated the new alfheim fantasy setting – not because I hate fantasy, I LOVE fantasy – but because they totally changed the show! Asuna was not the strong woman she used to be, but was portrayed as a damsel in distress, the incest thing between Kirito and his sister was kinda creepy…I couldn’t even finish the new season because it pretty much turned into a harem anime, which I hate, and hated even more because Asuna and Kirito used to be so in love, and then he pretty much ditched her in season two. I felt like the first 12-14 episodes of the series became completely irrelevant, as far as character-building.
6) What’s the funniest joke you’ve ever come across in anime?
A: I can’t specifically pinpoint a joke, but episode 8 of Azumanga Daioh probably made me laugh harder than any other anime. It’s the New Years dream episode, and a couple of the characters have really strange dreams that are absolutely hilarious yet horrifying at the same time…Let’s just say there is a color-changing cat who can talk.
7) Who is one character you identify yourself with most?
A: Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail. She aspires to become a novelist, has conflicts with her family, and is a strong-minded individual who is not afraid to do whatever it takes to follow her dreams. Her friends mean the world to her, even though they often drive her crazy.
8) When you are feeling sad, what cheers you up most of all?
A: Writing fiction. It takes me away from whatever is making me sad in this world and puts me in a totally different world, where my sadness means nothing more than a creative energy.
9) What is the one thing you would most like to do this year?
A: I would like to finish editing my first novel and get it ready to send to a publisher.
10) Which was your favourite anime of this year/last year?
A: Assuming you mean anime that was released this year, I haven’t really enjoyed much of this year’s (2014’s) anime, sadly….I would have to go with Sailor Moon Crystal. I still prefer the original Sailor Moon anime, but it’s been interesting watching a newer version of one of my favorite shows. I like that it’s closer to the manga and brings up a lot of great discussions with my friends who have read the manga and watched the original anime. While Sailor Moon Crystal isn’t a fantastic anime in my opinion, it’s definitely fun to watch.
BUT if we’re counting RWBY as anime…RWBY wins, hands down. Even though it’s not a Japanese anime, it has a similar feel and art style. Cute girls with big weapons kicking ass always wins in my book It’s like if Sucker Punch was less sexy and turned into an anime.
11) If you could change one thing about anime, what would it be?
A: How commercialized it has become. It really bugs me nowadays how so many anime follow similar character archetypes – cute girls, nerdy boys, always that one angsty girl who *gasps* is actually really nice deep down! Everything has to be cute and comical – which is okay for some shows – but not all. I know not literally every anime does this, but a vast majority do, and it’s pretty redundant. I feel like I can already predict what a show will be like just from looking at the character designs. Mainstream American cartoons are all very different from each other, as far as art, vibe, content, etc. I wish anime could be more diverse.
And now, here are 11 random facts about me!
1) I am both a pianist and guitarist. I’ve been playing piano for 15 years and guitar for 8 years. Along with writing, music is a passion of mine. My music often inspires my writing, which will in turn inspire my music. It’s like a big creative cycle.
2) I’ve been working on an urban dark fantasy series since I was in middle school. I often edit and revise my work since, as I grow older, I gain more life experiences (not to mention way better grammar and writing skills), so I use those to better the content of my books. I hope to publish them in the near future so I can share my stories with all who are interested.
3) I love cats, but I am allergic to them 😦 But shhhh it’s a secret! My family members all have cats, so I try to hide my rashes and sniffly nose from them when I am at their houses, because I love playing with cats!
4) I am majoring in psychology and sociology at my university. I hope to someday work in criminology or forensics, or possibly as a clinical psychologist.
5) I love to cosplay and often make my own costumes. I hope to post some pictures in the near future on my blog! I have been cosplaying since 2008 and my first cosplay was Haruhi Suzumiya. I am currently working on Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2.
6) My first anime (aside from Pokemon/Sailor Moon/Yugi-Oh!) was Cowboy Bebop. It is still one of my favorite anime!
7) I love anything related to paranormal phenomena. I’ve always been interested in ghosts and spooky things since I was a young child. Needless to say, the Pokemon Tower/Sabrina’s gym arc in Pokemon was my favorite. I love watching horror movies that are about ghosts and demons!
8) I love to wear pastel goth and sweet lolita. A large portion of my paychecks often gets impulsively spent on clothing when I’m not working on a cosplay or have textbooks to buy.
9) I love going to arcades to play retro games, fighting games (especially soulcalibur and tekken), and DDR! I also love playing video games at home. I love the Mario, Kirby, Devil May Cry, soulcalibur, and Final Fantasy games. I’m currently playing Eternal Sonata for the XBox 360.
10) I am terrified of moths. I love butterflies, but I hate moths. They are butterflies possessed by the devil. I am okay with most other bugs – with the exception of bees since I am allergic to them – but moths? No. Just no.
11) I don’t read American comics as much as I do manga, but I really love dark/spooky comics. Lenore, Bear, Little Gloomy, and anything by Jhonen Vasquez are my favorites. I will probably review them all on my blog eventually.
And now….here are some really cool blogs that I nominate for a Liebster Award!!
And to all you nominees who accept my nomination, please make a blog post like the one I just made. Post a picture of the award (just save and upload the one on my blog here), thank me with a link to my blog, answer the 11 questions I’m going to give you, then post 11 random facts about yourself, and then nominate 5-11 bloggers to do the same!
Here are your 11 questions:
1) What inspired you to create a blog?
2) What was your first anime?
3) If you could cosplay any anime character (assume crafting skill and money are not an issue), who would you choose?
4) Aside from reviewing anime, what are some of your hobbies?
5) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
6) Which was the saddest anime you’ve ever watched?
7) The funniest anime?
8) If you could star in any anime, which would you choose?
9) If you could take any anime character out on a date, who would you pick?
10) If you could have any career in the world, what would you want to do?
11) What is a goal you wish to accomplish this year?
If I nominated you and you choose to fill out the questionnaire, let me know! I’d love to read your responses! Thanks again to WakuWafu for nominating me! I had a lot of fun filling out this post!